On this week’s Education Gadfly Show podcast, Kymyona Burk and Tom Greene of ExcelinEd join Mike Petrilli and David Griffith to discuss how Ohio, Mississippi, and other states are implementing research-based literacy policies. Then, on the Research Minute, Amber examines virtual charter schools’ effect on student achievement in Pennsylvania.
- The Mississippi study that Kymyona discussed on the show: “The Effect of Retention Under Mississippi’s Test-Based Promotion Policy” —Wheelock Education Policy Center
- “A new study confirms Mississippi’s promise: ensuring all students can read” —Jeb Bush and Kymyona Burk in the Magnolia Tribune
- “Gov. Mike DeWine enters the ‘reading wars’ with budget proposal to fund change to ‘science of reading’” —Cleveland.com
- “Concern over Tennessee’s third grade reading, retention law prompts flurry of bills” —Chattanooga Times Free Press
- The study that Amber reviewed on the Research Minute: Sarah A. Cordes, “Cyber versus Brick and Mortar: Achievement, Attainment, and Postsecondary Outcomes in Pennsylvania Charter High Schools,” Education Finance and Policy (February 2023)
Have ideas for improving our podcast? Send them to our producer Nathaniel Grossman at email@example.com.