On this week’s Education Gadfly Show podcast, Michael Horn joins Mike Petrilli and David Griffith to discuss what schools can do to protect kids’ mental health and whether social media is making it worse. Then, on the Research Minute, Amber explores why schools seem to make more progress on math tests than reading tests.
- Michael Horn’s latest book, From Reopen to Reinvent: (Re)Creating School for Every Child
- “Teen girls report record levels of sadness, C.D.C. Finds” —New York Times
- “How to help young people limit screen time—and feel better about how they look” —NPR
- “Is politics making kids depressed?” —Wall Street Journal
- Jonathan Haidt’s Substack, After Babel
- The study that Amber reviewed on the Research Minute: Evan Riehl and Meredith Welch, “Accountability, Test Prep Incentives, and the Design of Math and English Exams,” Journal of Policy Analysis and Management (September 26, 2022)
Have ideas for improving our podcast? Send them to our producer Nathaniel Grossman at email@example.com.