On this week’s Education Gadfly Show podcast, Natalie Neris and Hal Woods of Kids First Chicago join Mike Petrilli and David Griffith to discuss what Chicago’s mayoral run-off election between Brandon Johnson and Paul Vallas means for the city’s schools. Then, on the Research Minute, Amber looks at the effects of mindfulness-based programs on student mental health and resilience.
- “Chicago mayoral candidates offer divergent paths on declining enrollment and small schools” —Chalkbeat Chicago
- “In Chicago mayor’s race, two hopefuls reflect Democrats’ split” —AP News
- “The Chicago Teachers Union power play” —Wall Street Journal
- “A shifting mood on crime propelled Chicago’s leading candidate for mayor” —New York Times
- “Chicago school enrollment declines for eleventh year” —Illinois Policy Institute
- The study that Amber reviewed on the Research Minute: Jessica Mettler et al., “Mindfulness-based programs and school adjustment: A systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of School Psychology (April 2023)
Have ideas for improving our podcast? Send them to our producer Nathaniel Grossman at firstname.lastname@example.org.